Botox as a Treatment
Do you suffer from TMJ pain? Don’t want to wear a night guard? Tired of waking up with a headache or sore jaw?
Botox can be used as an alternative treatment to treat conditions such as TMD, bruxism, and headaches resulting from teeth grinding and day to day stress.
The Masseter Muscle
Botox is injected into the masseter muscles.
The Masseter muscle is a facial muscle that helps you chew. Like any muscle that is used excessively, patients who are constantly grinding or clenching their teeth or even frequently chewing gum are at risk for masseter hypertrophy. Not only does this lead to TMJ pain but may cause the face to appear rounder or square along the jawline.
5 Quick Things You Should Know About Botox® Treatment
- It prevents headaches and migraines before they even start. BOTOX® prevents on average 8 or 9 headache days and migraine/probable migraine days a month (vs 6 to 7 for placebo) at 24 weeks.
- It’s given every 12 weeks. It will take 2 treatments, 12 weeks apart to determine how well BOTOX® is working for you. If you don’t get treated every 12 weeks, you may not get the full benefit of BOTOX®.
- It’s a small needle. People say that the injections feel like tiny pinpricks.
- It’s injected by a BOTOX® specialist. This is a doctor or a Dentist who’s experienced in treating with BOTOX®.
- It takes about 15 minutes. The injections take about 15 minutes, and are done right in your doctor’s office.
Worried about the pain? The pain from the injections is none to very minimal
Most of our patients start experiencing great improvement and relief within a couple days although the full effect can take up to 2 weeks.
How much Botox will I need? The amount of Botox needed varies with every patient and is determined by the dentist during the consultation.